Tummy Tuck, Melbourne

Tummy Tuck Melbourne Cost

Nov 17, 2011 — by Dr. Allan Kalus | Comments (38)
Tags: Abdominoplasty Tummy Tuck Day Surgery Costs

What is the cost of tummy tuck (abdominoplasty surgery)?

In most cases, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery does attract a rebate from Medicare and, if you are insured, from your health insurance organization.  This rebate will help considerably to reduce your out-of-pocket cost.  When you call a surgical practice for a price for tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery, you need to know all of the following:-

• The Surgeon’s fee.
  • The Anaesthetist’s fee.
  • The bed and theatre fee.
  • Any extra (such as drugs, dressings and materials).

When you call Avenue Plastic Surgery we will provide you with an accurate out-of-pocket cost which will be all inclusive and include all medication, dressings and post-operative visits.

Who is the best plastic surgeon to perform tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery?

You will find many plastic surgeons in Australia who are skilled and experienced at tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery.  It is important to check that your surgeon is a Fellow of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and a member of The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).  Most plastic surgeons who perform tummy tuck surgery are also members of the Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS).

It may be wise to consult your general practitioner as to who is a reputable plastic surgeon in your area.  You may also be recommended to a plastic surgeon by a friend or relative.

It is often useful to obtain a second opinion from another plastic surgeon and then decide who you are most comfortable with.  As in most things in life, the most expensive is not necessarily the best nor is the cheapest always the worst!  Be aware of advertisements and advice given in the media as these can be misleading.  It is important to take into account your surgeon’s qualifications, their experience, the quality of information provided, their accessibility and, importantly the surgeon’s personality and how well you get along.  You will have to rely on your surgeon and you should be confident in his or her skill, judgment and commitment – especially if you have any post-operative complications or concerns.  These days, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery is not just about the surgery.  The after care is most important.  The best plastic surgeon will have a team of nurses and staff who are able to provide you with comprehensive care.

Comments (38)

# 1 | Posted by: amina, over 3 years ago

Hello Sir my name is AMINA and I am 5 months pregnant. I have few questions on tummy tuck and stretch marks which i will face after the baby is born. If I choose to have C section can tummy tuck be performed at the same time just so that I dont have to go through 2 surgeries? Can tummy get rid of the loose skin and fat as well as the stretch marks? How much does it cost? Can I pay after the surgery is done in instalments or do I have to pay your fees upfront?

# 2 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 3 years ago

Hi Amina and congratulations on your pregnancy. As far as tummy tuck and pregnancy is concerned, many women do choose to have a tummy tuck after pregnancy. This is because the pregnancy causes the abdominal skin to be stretched. Also, for some women, the abdominal skin can be affected by stretch marks. Of course some women are lucky and dont have stretched skin or stretch marks! It all depends on your skin type and how elastic your skin is. This is why it is best not have a tummy tuck performed at the same time as a C-section. It could be that you wont need a tummy tuck at all as your skin may go back to the same state that it was in prior to your pregnancy! Also, a tummy tuck is quite a major operation in its own right. It requires planning and preparation and it is not suitable to do a tummy tuck at the same time as you are having a C-section. Certainly a tummy tuck does get rid of loose skin and fat as well as stretch marks. At Avenue Plastic Surgery in Melbourne we usually do tummy tucks as a Day Case so you are able to return home on the afternoon of surgery. The surgery includes removing excess skin and stretch marks as well as tightening the stretched abdominal muscles. You will be seen the next morning and monitored carefully during the post-operative period. We are able to help arrange finance for surgery if this is required. For details on the cost of the surgery including the operation, the anaesthetic and the theatre fee please call Kristina (our dedicated Patient Advisor) on 03 95211777.

# 3 | Posted by: Rytasha samson, over 2 years ago

Hi there I am wanting to get a tummy tuck I have 1 child and would like another 1 do I have to wait until I have finished having children then get the tuck done? And how long after a c-section do you have to wait to get the procedure done?

# 4 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Rytasha. Yes it is best to wait until you have completed your family before having a tummy tuck. If you had one now and then had more children, there is a good chance that the muscles and skin would stretch again. I think it would be best to wait for 6 months after a Caesarean section before having a tummy tuck. Hope this helps.

# 5 | Posted by: Kim Edwards, over 2 years ago

Hi there, my name is Kim I'm 27 and I have had two children and have a lot of excess skin and stretch marks since having my 2nd child. Iam very self conscious about it and would like to look into fixing it. I have lost the weight so I don't need liposuction but the excess skin is bad. Could you let me know the next steps to take? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you Kim Edwards

# 6 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

It sounds like you would really benefit from a tummy tuck! So long as youre in good general health and dont plan anymore children, then this could certainly be done for you. Your first step is a consultation with our surgeon Allan Kalus. He has performed many 100s of tummy tucks and will go into all the details with you. It is likely the operation could be performed as a day case and if you are from out of town you would be able to save a lot of money by staying in a nearby hotel rather than staying in hospital. I have asked Kristina, our Patient Advisor to correspond with you via email. We look forward to helping you.

# 7 | Posted by: Mandi, over 2 years ago

I noticed in the last week of my 1st pregnancy the underneath of my belly "bottomed out"...ie went floppy. That floppyness has been there eversince. I have had 2 caesars the last one being 4 1/2 years ago. I am 41, fit, toned exercise regularly and at my correct weight now but the excess skin and pouch won't budge. Is it possible to just remove the excess skin removed without tummy tightening?

# 8 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Mandy and thanks for your post. It is certainly possible to remove the excess skin in the lower part of your abdomen without doing a full tummy tuck. The formal name for this procedure is subumbilical abdominoplasty and it is done through the same incision as your Caesarean section scar. The scar is usually extended a little on each side to allow more skin to be removed. The Medicare Item Number for this procedure is 30174. It is usually done as a Day Case. Please call one of our patient advisors (Kristina or Susan) on 95211777 for more information and for a detailed over the phone costing on this procedure.

# 9 | Posted by: Dannielle, over 2 years ago

Hi, I had my first baby at 19 and got horrible stretch marks and lose flappy skin. I'm now 21, still haven't gotten back to my pre baby body. Also I'm single. I want a tummy tuck and perhaps liposuction now. But I also want more children but not for many more years. I was wondering what would the risks be if I was to go thru with the surgeries and having more babies later in life? Thanks

# 10 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Danielle and thanks for your question. Isnt it terrible what babies can do to your abdominal skin! Some girls are really lucky and dont seem to have any loose skin or stretch marks, while others have lots of loose skin and very large and prominent stretch marks. A tummy tuck is the ideal operation for this type of problem as it will remove all the skin below the belly button, together with any stretch marks that are there. The skin from the upper part of the tummy (above the belly button) is then stretched down to form a tight new tummy. Liposuction can be done at the same time if required. Lots of people ask the question about what happens if they want more children in the future. The answer is that the tummy tuck will in no way prevent you having more children but, of course, it is impossible to predict what effect pregnancy will have on your new tummy. Its quite possible that the skin will stretch again and that more stretch marks will form! So, for women who plan to have their children together, it is probably best to wait until their family is completed. For young women like yourself it is quite reasonable to have a tummy tuck done now so that you can enjoy life through your 20s and still be able to have children in your late 20s or 30s. I really hope that this post helps and I have asked our Patient Advisor, Susie, to respond to you directly and confidentially in more detail.

# 11 | Posted by: myer, over 2 years ago

I had my first child in January and we plan to have one more, but I am finding it hard to cope with my post baby body and would be looking at getting a tummy tuck to improve my appearance and bring back my confidence. Before I got pregnant I was a very fit healthy size 8. I need to loose about another 4kgs to get back to my pre baby weight, but i have loose skin and very bad strectch marks on my stomach and love handles. Is there any procedure I can have to get rid love handles and the horrid stretch marks on my side? Thank You

# 12 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Meyer and thanks so much for your post. If you plan to have another child in the near future then it is probably best to defer a tummy tuck, as having another baby will probably stretch your tummy again! Losing those extra 4 kg to get back to your pre baby weight will probably reduce the size of your tummy at little but of course it wont get rid of the stretch marks. For the love handles, if they dont go after you have lost your weight, then liposuction under local anaesthetic would be an option. A tummy tuck really is a great operation for getting rid of loose skin and stretch marks. The procedure removes all the skin between the belly button and the pubic hair line. As this is the area where most of the loose skin and stretch marks are located the tummy tuck will eliminate these and give you a nice tight tummy. During your tummy tuck the muscles of the abdominal wall are also tightened. Its amazing how much these muscles are stretched by pregnancy and no amount of weight loss and exercise can restore these muscles to their normal position. Tightening of these muscles by sewing them together in the midline not only gives you a tight tummy but also improves your waist line. So Meyer, it seems that you would benefit from a tummy tuck and liposuction for your love handles but the timing is up to you!

# 13 | Posted by: natasha arnold, over 2 years ago

Hi, I'm 26 and I have had three children my youngest being nearly 5months, I would like to get my tubes clamped or tied as I don't want anymore children but I would like to get a tummy tuck at the same time as my belly has a fair bit of excess skin and silver stretch marks and I'm very self conscious about it.. I am currently 74kg and 172cm I would like to enquire to see if it's possible to get both things done at the same time....

# 14 | Posted by: brooke, over 2 years ago

Hi i am 28 and would love a tummy tuck and breast lift.I got all my stretch marks in first pregnancy and learnt my lesson with following pregnancys.I have finished having my children now but still currently feeding my 7 month old.I would like to know how soon after feeding can i have the procedure? costs? do i get the medicare rebate? i also have 15kgs to loose before feeling comfortable within myself ,would this be best lost first ?thanks

# 15 | Posted by: Annemarie, over 2 years ago

Hi I have had 5 children and everytime I look in the mirror I see the unsightly folds of skin, I wear support garments daily in the hope that it will make my stomach look flat, but no I still look pregnant, my health insurance have advised I am covered as long as it is medically necessary, I am 15 k overweight which I am really trying to lose with diet and exercise, and even when I was my goal weight I still had the excess skin. Would I qualify for being medically necessary, how much do you charge over the scheduled fee and how big is the scar. I have wanted a tummy tuck for at least 5 years but do think of the scar and the recovery. I am 40, 159 cm and weigh 74 kilos. Also had a hysterectomy so defo no more children

# 16 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Natasha and thanks for your post asking about having a tummy tuck together with your tubes tied. The two procedures can certainly be done at the same time. It is just a matter of coordinating the two surgeons! So your first step is to see a gynaecologist about having your tubes tied. Then give us a call at Avenue Plastic Surgery so that we can assess your suitability for a tummy tuck and give you all the information you need. We will then be able to co-ordinate the procedure with your gynaecologist.

# 17 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Brooke and thanks for your post about a tummy tuck and breast lift. Some surgeons call this procedure a mommy make-over! It is a great procedure as it gets rid of all the excess skin and stretch marks in your lower tummy as well as lifting your breasts. The 2 procedures can be done together often as Day Case with you returning home on the evening of surgery. Although the procedure could be done as soon as you finish breast feeding, in order to get the Medicare rebate it is necessary for you to wait until your youngest child is 1 year old. Although not essential, it is best to lose any excess weight before the surgery. So a good plan for you would be to try to lose the 15 kg over the next 5-6 months and then have the surgery next Autumn. We can always see you for a consultation first, just to get the ball rolling, to give you all the information you need and to reserve a date for surgery. Why not give our Patient Advisor Kristina a call on 03 9521 1777 so that we can make all the necessary arrangements.

# 18 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, over 2 years ago

Hi Ann-Marie and thanks for your post on tummy tuck at Avenue Plastic Surgery in Melbourne. A tummy tuck can really be a life changing event in that it removes all the unsightly folds of skin and stretch marks in the lower part of the abdomen and tightens the skin as well as the underlying muscles. It is always best to lose any excess weight before the procedure but this is not an absolute requirement. From your description the procedure is certainly medically necessary and this means that you would be able to claim a rebate from Medicare and your health insurance. The scar is from hip to hip but usually heals really well and is easily hidden in the bikini line. Most women say that the operation is not nearly as painful as a hysterectomy but you will need to take a week or two for recovery. At Avenue Plastic Surgery a tummy tuck is usually done as a Day Case in the morning and you should be able to return home in the afternoon. Overnight stay facilities are also available should these be required. To find out exactly how much your out-of-pocket costs would be I suggest you contact our Patient Advisor Kristina in 03 9521 1777. We look forward to hearing from you in the near future and to looking after you for your procedure.

# 19 | Posted by: Sandra Paterson, over 2 years ago

Hi - I am 48 years old and have had 2 children - aged 28 and 24 respectively...both my babies were very large 8lb6oz and 9lb7oz - i got loads of stretch marks however tummy was fairly tight until i had a hysterectomy at 28 yrs old.... i literally feel as if my stomach muscles were never stitched up after this... i get constant backache and my posture is awful as my stomach protrudes and i compensate... i went back too the surgeon but he said it would settle - that was 20 yrs ago and it never has....its progressively getting worse and i wonder if a tummy tuck is my solution???

# 20 | Posted by: lauren , over 2 years ago

hi , i would like to no if there i can be covered by medicare for a tummy tuck as i have had 4 c sections not by choice and as you can imagine have no control over the bottom half of my stomoch and have problems with sczr tissue sensitivity and that i also am finished having children and my youngest child is over two years of age ....

# 21 | Posted by: Avenue Plastic Surgery, about 1 year ago

Hi Sandra and thanks so much for your post on tummy tuck surgery. Many women notice that their stomach muscles seem to weaken after a hysterectomy but it is unlikely that they were never stitched up properly! It is much more likely that your tummy muscles were stretched during your pregnancies. Often, when we do a tummy tuck, we see that the midline muscles (the rectus abdominous muscles) instead of being close together, are several centimeters apart. These muscles can be stitched together during a tummy tuck producing a tighter abdomen. When these muscles are stitched together the transverse abdominous muscles (TVA) are also tightened and therefore your abdominal core is strengthened. Most women report a great improvement in their backache following a tummy tuck procedure. It has even been suggested that a tummy tuck be performed just to treat backache! I have asked our Patient Advisor, Kristina to contact you by email with more information, but if you are seriously considering a tummy tuck then there is no substitute for a professional consultation! If you have a referral from your GP then the cost of the consultation is partly covered by Medicare.

# 22 | Posted by: Avnue Plastic Surgery, about 1 year ago

Hi Lauren and thanks for your post. After 4 Caesarean sections your abdominal muscles are probably very loose and you probably have lots of loose skin in your lower tummy. As you would be aware from reading all the posts on this blog, a tummy tuck will not only tighten your tummy muscles but also remove all the excess skin and many of the stretch marks. In many cases, the operation can be done as a Day Case thereby saving you the cost of a hospital admission. Yes, the operation is at least partly covered by Medicare but, before going ahead, you will need to know the exact costs for the surgery, anaesthetic and operating theatre time. You could save a lot by having it done as a Day Case (so long as you have someone to look after you at home). I have asked our Patient Advisor Kristina to contact you by email with some more information but perhaps it would be best if you gave her call on 03 9521 1777.

# 23 | Posted by: Mel, about 1 year ago

Hi I am 24 and have 3 children 5,2, & 1 the last two were caesars, I have had an on going battle with my weight and have lost 17 kgs in last few montha though i am currently 90 kgs & 152 cm, as you can imagine my stomach is not in a very nice state and i have quite alot of excess skin and stretch marks. I do not have private health cover but I'm desperate to get a tummy tuck and would Like to know approximately how much it would cost and how much weight I'd be advised to lose before undergoing surgey, I am working out daily and steadily losing weight but would like that bit of light at the end of the tunnel as I'm scared of looking worse once I lose more weight. Help!!

# 24 | Posted by: Laura, about 1 year ago

Hi, I am very interested in a tummy tuck. Experiencing the usual flabby belly post babies and stretch marks and have recently lost some weight so it is even more noticeable. My plan is to have a consult within the next few months, not living in melbourne obviously makes it difficult to arrange so I am interested in the process and costs in more detail. Look forward to hearing from you! I want my new tummy!

# 25 | Posted by: Sarah, about 1 year ago

Hi, I'd like to know how long would be the recovery period for a tummy tuck? Like many previous posts, I have had 3 caesars and would love to have a flat tummy again. Youngest child is 4 months short of turning 4.

# 26 | Posted by: Angel, about 1 year ago

Hi I've has 6 c sections and have that horrible thing they call apron (tummy fat ) that hangs from lower stomach and tummy fat from mid section also I'm done have kids just wondering realistic what aprox $$ would cost for tummy tuck

# 27 | Posted by: A`n, about 1 year ago

I look like I'm 6 months pregnant, no fat, will a tummy tuck help?

# 28 | Posted by: Andrew, about 1 year ago

Hey, im 25 years old and over the past year have lost 45kg and am now 80kg. As you can see i was a very big boy. I have alot of strech marks and loose skin all around my tummy and hips. It's not a great sight and would love to have a flat tummy and be confident with my body for the first time in my life. Wondering of the cost of this?

# 29 | Posted by: Allan Kalus, about 1 year ago

Hi Andrew and thanks for your post. Congratulations on losing 45 kg! Id love you to post on how you achieved this massive weight loss. Was it diet and exercise? Or did you have some form of gastric banding or bypass surgery? Lots of people have trouble losing even 10 kg and so to lose 45 kg over a year is just fantastic! I absolutely understand your problem. You have lost all this weight but when you look in the mirror all you see is loose skin and stretch marks. Surely there should be a better reward for losing so much weight! A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty procedure is usually the first operation that is considered. A tummy tuck after massive weight loss removes all the excess skin and stretch marks below the belly button and also tightens the muscles of the abdominal wall. In your case it may have to be extended around to your hips to remove the excess skin from that area also. Here at Avenue Plastic Surgery we perform tummy tuck operations either as Day Surgery (with you going home the same day) or with a single overnight stay. This largely depends on your circumstances whether you have a responsible adult to look after you on the first night after your surgery and whether you live not too far away. In either case, the operation is done in the morning and you will be walking by the afternoon! I have asked my patient advisor to contact you directly regarding the cost of surgery. Naturally your out-of-pocket costs will vary on whether or not you have private health insurance. In either case however Medicare will cover at least part of the cost of abdominoplasty surgery.

# 30 | Posted by: taz, about 1 year ago

Hi there, I am a mum of 5 kids under 5 yrs old, I have a set of twins concieved naturally. I am done having children but now I am very overweight so I am considering gastric bypass surgery. My question is, after I lose weight I will definately need a tummy tuck amongst other surgeries but what are the costs involved?? what sort of price range am I looking at? Also I was told that if you have concieved twin naturally you dont pay as much??? dont know how true that is??????

# 31 | Posted by: Andy, about 1 year ago

My wife is 45 , has had 2 pregnancies, both being c sections and both being twins..... she is suffering from the obvious and her self esteem is suffering also..... I would like to surprise her as she is too proud to ask.....we have full private medical, what sort of out of pocket expense would we be looking at ?.

# 32 | Posted by: Sarah, about 1 year ago

Hi I have two children and my husband and I are not planning on having any more children. I would love to have a breast lift and tummy tuck as pregnancy and breastfeeding has taken its toll! Can u please give me an idea of cost? We have basic extras on our private health insurance. Thankyou

# 33 | Posted by: Danielle Rose, about 1 year ago

Hi I have 4 children ranging 16-4 years of age. 2 of which were c/sections. I have no core strength, lots of saggy skin, stretch marks and am frequently asked when the baby is due. Even though I am 174cm tall and weigh 62kg. I'm tired of sucking in my stomach and wearing control pants to minimise it. On top of this I have hypothyroidism which was left undiagnosed for a year. I went from a size 8 to a size 14. I am now down to a 10/12. The issues I have include some stubborn fat on my hips. In addition I had liposuction that was poorly done and has left lumpy toned skin on my lower abdomen. Can you advise what I would need? Would I be a day case?

# 34 | Posted by: tam, about 1 year ago

Hi I just had my 5th C section and have an awful apron, i still have 20kg to lose but I need the excess skin removed, I have heard after 3 csections i can get it covered by medicare, is this correct? I had lapband 4 years ago so i have lost a bit of weight. But due to the pregnancies i have excess skin and my breasts even though still breast feeding are horrible, can you help

# 35 | Posted by: Jennifer Stevens, about 1 year ago

Cost you please give approx. costs of the breast lift and tummy tuck procedures....total costs please.

# 36 | Posted by: Sussie, about 1 year ago

Hello, I had Gastric Banding 4 years ago and am wondering if I can have a tummy tuck for the excess skin, I also think I need some liposuction for trouble areas - are you able to help someone like me and what would be the Medicare code so I can ask Bupa if they'd cover me. P.s would like pubic lipo as well.

# 37 | Posted by: Mimi, about 1 year ago

I am 53 and have three adult children. I have finally managed to loose the 20kg I had gradually put on with each pregnancy. I have had a flabby, stretch marked stomach for over 30 years and am now considering surgery. My main reason is for comfort. The loose skin is uncomfortable and in the summer the apron of skin gets irritated and sore. I have private insurance. What cost would I expect and would my age have any bearing on the surgery?

# 38 | Posted by: Anna, about 1 year ago

Hello, thankyou so much for publishing these questions and answers, it helps a lot and you don't have to keep repeating yourself. Can you please quote a full tummy tuck for a person with full private health insurance. Can you give me the itemised Medicare and private health rebates. Thankyou in advance.

Public comments are welcome. All fields are required.

Our Location

Avenue Plastic Surgery

Windsor Office

61-3-9521-1777

map

Get Directions

Our Friendly Staff
Are Ready to Answer
Your Questions!

Email Us

* Denotes required field
To: Avenue Plastic Surgery

From (email)*:

Dear Avenue Plastic Surgery,
Hello, my name* is and I am interested in scheduling an appointment with you and would like to receive information about .
Please call me at at your earliest convenience.

Expand to Personalize Your Message